BRITANNIA AND HINDUSTAN AT DARTMOUTH
(MP052). Frank Watson Wood (1862-1953). Watercolour signed and dated 1914..
Limited Edition: 500
Standard size: 6.5 x 4.5ins (17x12cms) approx.
Price Reduced To: £37.50
In a position about half a mile north of the little town of Dartmouth on the SW peninsular, close to the western shore and just below Mill Creek, the original 3 decker BRITANNIA arrived and moored to head and stern buoys in 1863. The business of training cadets began. A second hulk, the old HINDUSTAN, a 2 decker built of Indian teak, arrived in the River Dart shortly after and was moored ahead of BRITANNIA and connected to her by covered gangway. But soon BRITANNIA herself was considered too small and a replacement had arrived by 1869. She and HINDUSTAN blended into their beautiful surroundings very satisfactorily and training cadets aboard these two ships proceeded apace for the next 35 years or so. With the new college built ashore, HINDUSTAN was towed from the Dart in 1905; BRITANNIA followed in 1916.